Tuesday 24 June 2014

Hi everyone,

There has been a lot going on over the past few weeks. I helped out with my first wedding ceremony 2 weeks ago which was really exciting. I helped set up for the ceremony doing checks on technical equipment and greeted the guests, showing them where to go. I was even given the responsibility to help prompt the bride on the right time to enter into the room!

I’ve also had a lot of training over the past few weeks, but not all of it was conventional as the normal health and safety training. I was trained how to handle some exotic bugs! The museum have brought in 6 species of bugs from Blackpool Zoo, so we now have; Giant African Land Snails, Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches, Deaths Head Cockroaches, Desert locusts, Indian Green Stick Insects and African Sun Beetles! I’m afraid to say I only managed to hold 3 of the insects as I’m a bit of a wimp!  They are on display in the Borders Gallery and we are soon going to be having handling sessions with the public so they definitely worth a visit!

I also recently I went alongside my fellow apprentice Katie to visit the other museums within the CMC to see how Tullie House and the other museums differ. I visited Blackwell House, Abbot Hall and the Museum of Lakeland Life and Industry. They were all really good, my favourite being the Museum of Lakeland Life and Industry as it had a street in it representing how the shops would have looked in the olden days as well as a typical living room and bedroom layout. It was something different to see!


I better get back to work, don’t forget to come see the exotic bugs next time you’re passing!

African Sun Beetle
Desert Locust
         

No comments:

Post a Comment